My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. (Psalm 139:15 KJV)
I’ve read Psalm 139:15 many times before, but on this particular day, my eyes lingered on ‘made in secret’, as the Holy Spirit brought a new layer of revelation.
To fully appreciate the depth of this verse, let's look at the Hebrew definitions found in the Strong’s Concordance:
• My substance (ʿōṣem) describes power, bones, might
• I was made (ʿāśâ ) means to fashion, prepare, attend to, put in order, appoint, ordain, institute and to bring about
• In secret (sēṯer) refers to covering, shelter, hiding place, protection
• Curiously is defined as attentively, with nice care and art, exactly, neatly, elegantly and unusually (1828 Webster’s Dictionary)
• Wrought (rāqam) means to variegate, to mix colors, to be skillfully woven
• In the lowest parts (taḥtî) refers to the nether parts or in the womb
Inasmuch as this verse specifically talks about the actual process of creation in the womb, the Holy Spirit drew a parallel with the secret place in the spiritual realm.
My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. (Psalm 139:15 NIV)
Based off these definitions, we can see that our strength and might is not hidden from God.
We areat tended to, prepared, put in order, appointed, ordained, instituted and brought about under His covering and protection, as He attentively, elegantly, neatly and skillfully put in order everything about us- including all our varied and multi-colored gifts, talents, anointings and graces.
Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. (Psalm 139:16 KJV)
• My substance, yet being unperfect (golem) refers to an embryo, a foetus, an unformed mass.
• In thine book (sēp̄er) - God’s book of prophecies, genealogical register and record book
• Were written (kāṯaḇ) means recorded, enrolled, registered, decreed, inscribed
• In continuance (fyôm)- lifetime, days
• Were fashioned (yāṣar) - of individuals at conception, to frame, pre-ordain, plan – divine purpose of a situation, be predetermined
As you read through these definitions, take a moment to reflect on each one’s significance. Our lifetime was already pre-determined and framed even before we were formed.
God has a book of prophecies about us, in which our days have already been planned and pre-ordanined.
Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. (Psalm 139:16 NIV)
Does this not remind you of God’s word to Prophet Jeremiah in Jeremiah 1:5 (KJV)? “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.”
• Before (ṭerem) - not there
• Formed thee (yāṣar)- formed, of individuals at conception, to frame, pre-ordain, plan – the divine purpose of a situation, be predetermined.
• In the belly- (beṭen)- belly, womb
• I Knew thee (yāḏaʿ)- to be recognized, acknowledged, revealed, perceived, instructed
• Thou camest forth (yāṣā')- to go or come out or forth, to lead out, to deliver
• Womb- reḥem- matrix
• I sanctified thee (qāḏaš) - to be set apart, consecrated, prepared, hallowed, treated as sacred, dedicated
• I ordained thee (nāṯan) - to be given, granted, bestowed, permitted, employed, consecrated, entrusted, appointed, assigned, designated, constituted, issued
To tie this all together, the Bible lets us know in Ephesians 2:10 (KJV) that ‘for we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.’
• Workmanship- poiēma- that which has been made, of the works of God as creator
• Created- ktizō- to create, to form, shape, to complete change or transform
• In- en- a preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state)
• Good- agathos- useful, good, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy, excellent, distinguished, upright, honorable
• Works- ergon- that which anyone is occupied, undertaking, an act, thing done
• Hath before ordained- proetoimazō- to prepare before, to make ready beforehand, to fit up in advance
• That we should walk- peripateō- to make one’s way, to progress, to make due use of opportunities, to regulate one’s life, Hebrew to live
I pray that by examining some of these definitions you are encouraged that you weren’t just a happy accident. You were made in the hidden covering of God who was more than deliberate and intentional towards you.
You might be going through a process of separation, isolation or consecration in the secret place right now.
Remember that a baby takes 9 months in its mother’s womb, during which time the miraculous Hand of God weaves it together, masterfully forming all the pieces that were already assigned to it before the foundations of the world.
So it is with us- as we go through our process of being made in secret. We can trust the Hand of God is preparing and making us ready for our assignment.
May you, like the Psalmist, declare aloud how precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! (Ps 139:17 NIV)